This moorish Date, Fig & Apricot Slice was very popular when it was on the menu. It’s wheat free and very easy to make.
The dried fruits add a natural sweetness.
- 1 1/2 cups whole dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups whole dried dates
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried figs - cut in half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 280gm butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups instant oats
- 1 1/4 cups barley oats
- 1 cup potato flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- Put all the filling ingredients in a medium-sized pan
- Bring to the boil then cover and simmer until the fruit is soft and has lost most of its shape - 15 to 20 mins
- Leave to cool
- Cream the butter and brown sugar for the crumble in a cake mixer
- Add the remaining crumble ingredients and mix
- Line a swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Press 3/4 of the crumble mix into the tin and spread the fruit mix evenly on top.
- Spread the remaining crumble loosely over fruit.
- Bake at 180C for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into 12 slices with a bread knife.
(C) Morrison Street Cafe 2013