This very satisfying dish is a perfect brunch meal, made all the better with a side of toast and spinach (as in the pic). The gently scrambled eggs provide a soft textural contrast to the chunks of salmon, and the capers and lemon give a punchy hit of flavour. It’s a dish to delight the senses, and the extra toast turns it in to a man-sized meal. The recipe makes a single serving and, without the addition of toast, the dish is wheat and gluten free. Or use a wheat & gluten free bread of your choice to complete the meal.
- 3 free-range eggs
- pinch each of salt and white pepper
- 1/4 cup runny cream
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, oregano)
- 1 tbsp capers
- zest of 1 lemon
- 50-60gm smoked salmon
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the eggs lightly with a fork
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine
- Place a non-stick frypan on a low heat, then pour in the egg mixture
- Stir regularly until the egg mix begins to scramble and any uncooked egg has disappeared
- Serve with wilted spinach, toast, lemon or asparagus.
(C) Morrison Street Cafe 2014