This luscious Spiced Beetroot Cake is a favourite Cake of the Day.
The beetroot keeps it moist and the cinnamon keeps it smelling so good. The recipe makes two cakes to sandwich together as in the pic. Put them together with your favourite icing or ganache. We use a cream cheese icing which we also ice the top with.
- 560gm butter
- 560gm self-raising flour
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 525gm brown sugar
- 9 eggs – beaten
- 900gm beetroot – grated
- Grate the beetroot in a food processor and put in a large bowl
- Melt the butter and add to the beetroot, with the beaten eggs
- Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well again.
- Line 2 spring-form tins with baking paper and divide the mixture between the 2 tins
- Bake at 180C for approx 50 mins or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to sit overnight
- Next day place 1 cake on a plate and spread with the filling of your choice then place the other cake on top. Spread with icing or more filling, sprinkle with cinnamon and decorate with several cinnamon sticks
- Cuts into 12 big pieces