If you love pizza but require a wheat and gluten free diet then here’s the answer. Socca is an easy savoury pancake made with chickpea flour, water and salt. It makes the perfect pizza base. Apparently it’s a popular street food in Nice, in southern France, where they sprinkle it heavily with freshly ground black pepper and serve it with glasses of cold rosé – very civilised. The socca pancake base is cooked in a fry pan or on a grill rather than being baked in the oven.
The recipe makes 7 – 10 single serve bases, depending on the size of your pan
- • 150gm chickpea flour
- • 175ml water
- • 1/2 tsp salt
- • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- • tomato paste, fresh basil, chopped tomato, mozzarella, chopped red onion
- • salad greens
- Whisk all the base ingredients together in a bowl until the mixture is very smooth.
- Heat an oiled oven-proof pan and pour enough of the batter to make a small pancake, maybe 200mm across.
- While the base is cooking, heat the oven to 200C.
- Cook the base on the stove top for 5 - 8 minutes until turning brown and the edges are lifting.
- Remove from the heat, pour a little olive oil over the base, add your favourite pizza toppings and place the pan in the oven to cook for a few minutes
- Take out and sprinkle the fresh salad greens on top. Serve and enjoy
(C) Morri Street Cafe 2016